This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Error on uploading DNNAzureSMB.cspkg

Jun 27, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Hi, we are trying out your app for DNN on Azure which sounds exciting but are having problems with getting the wizard to upload the above file. The app returns the following error after a period of time. We test the connections before proceeding with the Wizard. We then tried it from a 2003 server with better connectivity but the wizard doesn't appear to run through the .bat file as it completes with just the output from the ServiceConfiguration.cscfg and nothing else.

-- STORAGE: UPLOADING SOLUTION ENGINE --
Settings loaded from service configuration file: 'C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\DNNAzureAccelerator\ServiceConfiguration.cscfg'
Uploading file to storage...
Source:  'C:\Users\Dan\Desktop\DNNAzureAccelerator\Packed\DNNAzureSMB.cspkg'
Target:  'https://puresystems.blob.core.windows.net/wa-accelerator-apps/DNNAzureSMB.cspkg'
An error occurred during upload.
 [( EXCEPTION )]
 Message                       :  Operation could not be completed within the specified time.
 Type                          :  StorageServerException
 Source                        :  Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient
 Target Site                   : 
 MethodHandle                  :  System.RuntimeMethodHandle
 Attributes                    :  PrivateScope, Public, HideBySig, SpecialName
 CallingConvention             :  Standard, HasThis
 IsGenericMethodDefinition     :  False
 ContainsGenericParameters     :  True
 IsGenericMethod               :  False
 IsPublic                      :  True
 IsPrivate                     :  False
 IsFamily                      :  False
 IsAssembly                    :  False
 IsFamilyAndAssembly           :  False
 IsFamilyOrAssembly            :  False
 IsStatic                      :  False
 IsFinal                       :  False
 IsVirtual                     :  False
 IsHideBySig                   :  True
 IsAbstract                    :  False
 IsSpecialName                 :  True
 IsConstructor                 :  False
 MemberType                    :  Method
 Name                          :  get_Result
 DeclaringType                 :  Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.Tasks.Task`1[T]
 ReflectedType                 :  Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.Tasks.Task`1[T]
 MetadataToken                 :  100664703
 Module                        :  Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.dll
 Data                          : 

Item                          :  ?
 Keys                          :  System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal+NodeKeyValueCollection
 Values                        :  System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal+NodeKeyValueCollection
 IsReadOnly                    :  False
 IsFixedSize                   :  False
 StackTrace                    :     at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.Tasks.Task`1.get_Result()
   at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.Tasks.Task`1.ExecuteAndWait()
   at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.TaskImplHelper.ExecuteImpl(Func`1 impl)
   at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.CloudBlob.UploadFromStream(Stream source, BlobRequestOptions options)
   at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.CloudBlob.UploadFile(String fileName, BlobRequestOptions options)
   at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.CloudBlob.UploadFile(String fileName)
   at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Accelerator.AzureExtensions.UploadFile(CloudStorageAccount account, String localPath, String blobUri, Boolean createContainerIfNotExists, Boolean overwriteBlobIfExists)
   at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Accelerator.Program.UploadFile(String localPath, String virtualPath, BlobType blobType, Boolean overwrite)
  [( INNER EXCEPTION )]
  Message                       :  The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
  Type                          :  WebException
  Source                        :  System
  Target Site                   : 
 MethodHandle                  :  System.RuntimeMethodHandle
 Attributes                    :  PrivateScope, Public, Virtual, HideBySig
 CallingConvention             :  Standard, HasThis
 IsGenericMethodDefinition     :  False
 ContainsGenericParameters     :  False
 IsGenericMethod               :  False
 IsPublic                      :  True
 IsPrivate                     :  False
 IsFamily                      :  False
 IsAssembly                    :  False
 IsFamilyAndAssembly           :  False
 IsFamilyOrAssembly            :  False
 IsStatic                      :  False
 IsFinal                       :  False
 IsVirtual                     :  True
 IsHideBySig                   :  True
 IsAbstract                    :  False
 IsSpecialName                 :  False
 IsConstructor                 :  False
 MemberType                    :  Method
 Name                          :  EndGetResponse
 DeclaringType                 :  System.Net.HttpWebRequest
 ReflectedType                 :  System.Net.HttpWebRequest
 MetadataToken                 :  100671408
 Module                        :  System.dll
  Data                          : 
 Item                          :  ?
 Keys                          :  System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal+NodeKeyValueCollection
 Values                        :  System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal+NodeKeyValueCollection
 IsReadOnly                    :  False
 IsFixedSize                   :  False
  StackTrace                    :     at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.StorageClient.EventHelper.ProcessWebResponse(WebRequest req, IAsyncResult asyncResult, EventHandler`1 handler, Object sender).

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Hi, 

This error occurred to me on the first attempt to upload the package with the wizard. The method used for this comes from the original Umbraco Accelerator utility "accelcon.exe" and it seems that has some problems with files larger than 4-5Mb when uploading blobs on some DSL connections (the problem is not reproduced in the VHD uploading process because the upload method is different for a page blob). 

I tried to upload the file without success on my home ADSL line. Then I tried with my 3G iPhone connection and works perfectly :( Please try with another line if you can and told to me if that workarounds the problem.

I'll check the original Umbraco Accelerator utility in order to see what is happening. Perhaps the hops to reach Azure are different from one connection to other, and some connection time limit is making this to fail.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Thanks for the update. Yes it does appear to relate to the connection as it does work sometimes. I have it all uploaded and i create a production deployment but the DNNAzure Role is stuck on "Busy" and the DNNAzure_IN_0 instance is set to "Waiting for role to start...". The SMBServer Role and Instance is set to Ready so that seems ok. Do you have any advice on what might be causing this problem?

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jun 28, 2011 at 5:16 PM

This issue means that the SMB role had an error when mounting and sharing the VHD, and the DNNAzure role can't connect to the SMB Server (this instances will try to connect to the SMB server every 10 seconds until reach 100 attemps, so this is the cause why the role is waiting for role to start). If you have recompiled the package to connect the instances via RDP you should see that the SMB Server role doesn't have any VHD mounted.

In order to view what is causing the error, open the WADLogsTable and see the log of the SMBServer (you can use, i.e., Azure Storage Explorer Tool available at CodePlex). Perhaps there is an error in the ServiceConfiguration.cscfg file

Another reason about this thread should be the upload method of the VHD drive. How did you upload the VHD drive? The VHD drive must be uploaded as a PageBlob, and not like a normal Blob. Common tools (like mentioned before) can't upload this types of blobs. I know that Cerebrata tools can and the AccelCon.exe included in the package. Perhaps this give you a clue.