This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Uprgading a live deployment

Nov 4, 2011 at 7:09 AM

Hi All,

I am very new to DNN and am desperately trying to get up to speed as soon as possible. I really want to use DNN in azure but have been advised against it by DNN sales.

I have deployed a version of DNN using the accelerator V6. It seems to be running ok barring a couple of errors every now and then but nothing that is a show stopper.

I want to upgrade the running version in Azure so I don’t lose all the changes I have made such as new skins and a couple new modules.

Is there a way I can upgrade the version I have in the Azure or do I have to overwrite everything each time?

Any assistance would be appreciated or direction resources that could help!

Thanks,

Marco

Coordinator
Nov 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Hi @pbsol,

I will try to answer question by question:

1) About the advise by DNN sales, I understand that they reffers to the DNN Professional/Elite editions. You can deploy a CE on Azure without any problem (DNN does not offer support con Community Edition). If you deploy a PE/EE on Azure, I suppose that actual DNN support does not cover Azure matters (i.e. how to upgrade a webrole, change settings, etc. this is only supported by the community at this moment). Another thing to take into account is that if you want to deploy a PE/EE on Azure, at this moment each webrole instance will need a "webfarm machine license", so you will need to license a "maximum-expected" instances;

2) About upgrading your instance, there is no need to overwrite nothing. Think that the VHD drive contains all your app contents and are safe on Azure Storage, and the same with the SQL Azure containing your DNN data. You can delete your deployment and deploy it again with the same parameters using the service package and service configuration file stored on your Storage Account by the DNN Azure Accelerator, and you will have the same portal running. The Azure principle is that the machines are stateless (all the data need to be stored on external resources as Azure storage or SQL Azure) in order that Microsoft can offer high availability and patch the machines without your knowledge (i.e. perhaps a your instances has been updated with another virtual machines and you don't know it).

3) So if you now know that you can redeploy and, of course, reuse the same app data and SQL Azure data, you can upgrade your DNN instance in two ways at this moment:

• Connecting via RDP to your SMB server, download the upgrade package, decompress it into the VHD drive "/dotnetnuke" folder and navigate to your portal to start the upgrade process.
  • Connect the SMB shared drive to your local computer as a Network Drive, copy the upgrade contents into the "/dotnetnuke" folder and navigate to your portal to start the upgrade process.

These two new features are supported by the new service packages included on the DNN Azure Accelerator 6.1 (for background knowledge see this post about RDP and this on Connecting the Network Drive), and will be covered on the DNN World Conference on the DotNetNuke on Azure Cloud Servers session by Bruce Chapman. I hope that the session will be recorded.

If you don't want to wait, you can:

• download the new accelerator 6.1
  • upload a package with RDP and Connect enabled using the same parameters you did when uploading with the previous 6.0 version (if you run again the Accelerator, nothing is overwritten).
  • After the upload process, delete your service deployment and deploy it again with the new uploaded package and service configuration file (note that the DNN 6.1 install package was uploaded to Azure storage but not used, since the "VHD/dotnetnuke" already exists and the Accelerator never overwrite existant files/sql azure data).
  • Upgrade your DNN portal with any of the two methods mentioned before

Hope this helps,

David Rodriguez

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for the post it has been really helpful!

Regards,

Marco