This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Upgrading From DNN 5.01 TO DNN AZURE

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Hi,

I'd like to know whether the upgrade from DNN 5.01 (on-premises) to DNN 6 (on AZURE) is supported?

If it is, what actions should be applied?

Thank you :)

Coordinator
Nov 25, 2011 at 5:48 PM
Edited Nov 25, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Hi Mark,

Azure is not really too much different from on-premise environment. The main issues can be caused by 3rd party modules that are not SQL Azure ready yet (ask the module vendor if the product supports SQL Azure). Answering to the "is supported" question, the PE version running on Azure is not actually supported by the DNN people, but I know about people that has installed PE versions on Azure at their own support. If the question is "is possible", the answer is yes, and the best approach that I can advice is:

1. Upgrade to DNN 6.1.1 in on-premise environment. If you have issues here, resolve them before migrating to Azure in order to concentrate later on Azure.
  2. Create a DNN instance on Azure using the Azure Accelerator, in order to provisioning webroles, Storage, VHD drives and SQL Azure database
  3. Use a 3rd party tool to restore your on-premise SQL Server database into SQL Azure. Behind the scenes, this process is not a normal backup/restore process, is more like a "execute a creation script" process. On this step you will find the SQL Azure incompatibilites and perhaps the step that will expend more time. Example of this tools are:
    1. SQL Azure Migration Wizard, available at CodePlex
    2. RedGate's SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare. The tools that I currently use, totally recommendable. Don't forget to take a look to RedGate's SQL Azure Backup, available for free, for later backups from the cloud to your on-premise/development environment
    3. SQL Azure Data Sync. I have not tested this method yet, but it will be the "natural" way to do this task in the future. Actually in CTP 2
  4. Zip the contents of your DNN site
  5. Open an RDP session to one webrole instance deployed on step 2 and unzip the contents into the X:\DotNetNuke folder
  6. Open the web.config and point to the SQL Azure database

I've migrated a DNN 5.3 instance using this method. The biggest issue is the SQL Azure compatibility and not only with the 3rd party modules, also on the DNN non-core modules such as Forums, etc. With the DNN 6 release, I fixed them and notice the community in order to don't fix them again, but I don't know if all the teams have been verified that.

Hope this helps

May 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Hi,

i am running a DNN site with version 6.1.3, which i wanted to move to azure.

Are the steps the same as described above? 

Regards

sb15

Coordinator
May 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Hi @sb15,

I answered this question a few days ago, but I don't see that -not sure if was just in the middle of CodePlex new UI migration.

So the answer is yes, the same steps apply.

Regards,

David