This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Hosting Multiple Domains

Sep 6, 2012 at 5:23 AM

So I've had DNN Accelerator wokring for a while. The site doesn't have much traffic and its running about 22$ a month to host on azure, not as cheap as I would have liked but it working.

I have a storage blob, a SQL db and a cloud instance. I'd like to spin up another domain, is it possible to do it using the same SQL Database and Blob, but using seperate cloud services; better yet even share the same Cloud Service?

Coordinator
Sep 7, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Hi @CodeBond, 

When you mean another "domain", you mean another DNN instance? I suppose you know that DNN is multi-portal enabled and you can host multiple sites in the same instance. This can be accomplished by simply creating all the portals you want and add through the DotNetNuke UI and the corresponding CNAMEs on your DNS provider.

If the question is to host other new DNN instance in the same device, I believe that those 22$/mo is because you are using an ExtraSmall instance, that is not ideal for hosting more than one DNN instance because its low memory resources.

For bigger instance sizes, I'm preparing a new feature allowing to host multiple DNN instances in the same deployment. This will be an "advanced" feature that will need more complex configuration on the setup and probably will not be done through the Accelerator Wizard (the internal admin site will play a new role on this).

If you have any question feel free to ask me.

Thanks,

David

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:33 AM
Edited Sep 26, 2012 at 5:34 AM

I understand, thanks for the explanation. I'm talking single tenant install with multiple forwarded domains. Once I wrap my head around all this I will roll out a more robust instance.

What I'd like to setup is

HostedServiceNam.cloudapp.net/home.aspx = www.domain1.com/home.aspx

HostedServiceName.cloudapp.net/domain2/home.aspx = www.domain2.com/home.aspx

etc

I think this is more of a general dotnetnuke configuration question and not so much related to the accelerator project. But and tips, pointers or tuts would be apprecited.

Thanks,

CB

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:09 AM

disregard my last message. I got it figured out.

Thank you all for your hard work on the Accelerator Project.