This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

DNN6 B2

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM

So now that DNNCorp has pretty much given their blessing to this project for running DNN6, then this project is likely about to get more popular, while the subset of people looking at Azure is still fairly small, that is likely going to change. I know at one Time David was blogging about all the steps needed to get DNN running on Azure, but it never got really nitty gritty and this project has been depending upon the scripts provided by this project to install. It would help my understnaidng of the entire process if there was some information provided either in a video on the installation process as well as some information on the steps required to install without the install scripts here. I'm sure I won't be the last to not totally get what is going on here with these scripts so it may make sense to expand the team and get some more eyes on what is going on with this project so it can be made as robust as possible. Thoughts?

Coordinator
Jul 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM
Edited Jul 14, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Hi Bruce, 

I'm really satisfied with people like you that are interested in seeing DNN running on Azure. It's true that the number of people using DNN on Azure is very small now (thinking that a 10% of the downloads of this project finally used it on Azure, it would mean about 30 projects built on DNN-Azure this month). I think that a there are a lot of people that would want the benefits of an elastic platform as Azure, and the moment is coming.

With DNN 6, the things will be easier. The scripts (SQL Scripts) that you mention have been modified on the DNN distribution package, so the next version of the Accelerator won't need to upload a preconfigured database to SQL Azure. The method for modifying the scripts are the same that I mentioned in the blog long time ago and that are commented here by Ash Prasad. This is now included on DNN 6 Beta 2!! I've created a new DNN site on Azure today using my iPad (I had to upload the package previously to Azure Storage, but the experience was incredible), You can check it here: http://dnn6beta2.cloudapp.net. The core installation works perfectly, but after some new tests I have seen that the "satellite" modules, like the blog, are not ready yet. 

So DNNCorp has finally put the cloud and Azure! as a first objective for DNN6. This is good because the scripts will be modified once by DNN Corp, using the QA tests, etc. and this project will concentrate the efforts on offering more functionality around Azure (i.e. App Fabric Cache, Access Control, SQL Azure Reporting, monitoring the instances, etc. etc. etc.) There is a lot of new modules that can be built around DNN and Azure. Expanding the team should be great!! But I know that my word is not the last and the time that I can dedicate to this project is limited now.

P.D. I'm amazed to know how the DNN logo appeared at the top of this page. I assure you that I didn't, so maybe that means something :)

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:02 AM

Hi David,

So, now DNN6 is here, what about the new accelerator ? ;) I'm pretty excited to upgrade my DNN5 on Azure !

Thanks

Coordinator
Jul 28, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Hi!

Good news! The accelerator is near! Check here for more info http://davidjrh.blogspot.com/2011/07/dnn-azure-accelerator-60-is-coming.html I'm just working on it.

I need to upgrade my DNN5 instances on Azure too. Be sure that you will have it :) I hope in a few days.

Regards

Jul 28, 2011 at 3:58 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Hum, so you keep the same mechanism as the old accelerator, with a VHD ? Still no 99.9% SLA ? :/

Umbraco have a great accelerator that copy all the files on all instance from the blob storage and synchronize them every seconds. This is not perfect but all instances are independent and I have the 99% SLA.

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Hi @fthouvenin!

Yes, the new version -that has been released!- still uses the VHD. Why? I'll give you two important reasons from my point of view:

The first approach to the 99% with the VHD that I have in mind is implementing an "I have the drive!" background process on the instances. So if the SMB role crash, the next one would mount and share the VHD in a few seconds dynamically. This is not perfect, but it would be inside the 99% parameters. AFIK, Microsoft is working around this, so perhaps a new solution will arise in a near future.

Regards