This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Trying to Map a Network Drive

Apr 9, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Hello,

I have used the accelerator to build a DNN instance on my Azure platform.

All went well and DNN works perfectly.

But, when I ran the installation I didnt really understand the step where I enable the ability setup the remote access step so I skipped it.

Now I have a Worker role setup called SMBSERVER but I cannot see the Role in the Virtual Network panel so i cannot allow my laptop endpoint to connect to the role.

Is there a way to fix this without a complete reinstall please?

Thanks

Trev

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Hi Trevor,

good news for you, it's possible! :) Since the VHD drive stores the file system contents and the SQL Azure database the DNN configuration, you can redeploy the hosted service with different packages.

Previous doing this, create a backup of the actual hosted service by:

• Making a copy of the "ServiceConfiguration.cscfg" stored in Azure Storage (by default in "dotnetnuke-packages" container)
  • Making a copy of the package that you used to deploy the hosted service (stored in "dotnetnuke-packages" container)
  • Making a backup of the SQL Azure database (i.e. using export tool in the administration console or using the Red Gate's free tool)
  • Making a backup of the site contents. If you don't have RDP enabled, it can be hard to do. You will need to create a snapshot of the VHD or download the VHD completely. If you choose to download it, I recommend to download from another "cloud" environment to have "light-speed" bandwidth :) If you have RDP enabled, you can login and zip the contents and copy them to another folder in the same VHD.

In any case, the Accelerator will not delete or overwrite contents, so this backup step is only for making sure that you can go back to the original state quickly.

USING VIRTUAL NETWORK PACKAGE

If you remember, the latest Accelerator version has two new steps regarding RDP and Virtual Network. If you re-run the accelerator with the same initial settings (database server name, user names, passwords, storage account settings, etc.), you can "revisit" these two steps and configure them (with RDP you will have to configure and upload a certificate). Remember to introduce in the Virtual Network step the token obtained from the Virtual Network tab in the Windows Azure management console.

Finally select to upload the packages (I recommend to you to use the "Single and Small RDP enabled" for normal use (note that Single does not mean "only one instance", means that works with the SMB server running on instance 0). You can redeploy your hosted service with the new package and service configuration file. The accelerator will not overwrite database or file contents, so if you use the same parameters that you used in your first deploy, you will have now your site running and virtual network enabled.

In this post you have more info about the next steps of connecting the cloud drive as a network drive (sorry, use the translation web control, did not translated to english manually)

Hope this helps,

David Rodriguez