This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Load Balanced DNN

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Hi,

Ive used the Accelerator to create a DNN site with no probs.... however

I am trying to get my head around load balancing.

From what ive worked out you need to create virtual machines to load balance. So ive done that (connected 2nd machine to 1st then added an endpoint) & load balancing is set up.

I noticed that a virtual machine creates a Cloud Service. So my assumption is that when running the Accelerator, I would just select that Hosted to Service to perform the DNN install on. Problem is it doesnt appear. (despite numerous refreshes).

Is my thinking right or do I have to do a manual install of a DNN site on the virtual server?

We host about 20 sites in seperate DNN instance for each site.

Thanks in advance

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Edited Sep 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Hi @tango, 

I think that there is some confusion around what can do the DNN Azure Accelerator and what not since the launch of the IaaS and WebSites Preview. To bring some light to this, I will describe the different ways you can deploy DNN on the different Windows Azure offers:

1) Using Windows Azure Websites Preview (Shared infrastructure without VM features like RDP, SMTP, or other services, you can move later to dedicated and RDP enabled). You will need to provision an empty database on SQL Azure through the Management Portal, and then use the "Create from Gallery" option to deploy your DNN as a Windows Azure Website. You can learn more about Windows Azure Websites here https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/home/scenarios/web-sites/ like how to manage your site using WebMatrix 2 through WebDeploy or FTP.

2) Using Windows Azure IaaS Preview (dedicated VMs). The DNN deployment is accomplished in the same way than on any other IaaS provider like Amazon, GoGrid, etc. You can have a local/network SQL Server instance or use SQL Azure. You need to provision the VM server through the Management Portal and then RDP into it and install DNN as usual. To add more servers to the same DNN instance, you will need to manually setup and configure your WebFarm of servers, adding more maintenance overhead. You can add as many IIS DNN instances in the same VM as you reach maximum VM capacity, like memory etc. (think that every DNN instance is about 250Mb RAM). Scaling In and Out implementation is hard to maintain, because you have to do it manually. You can learn more about Windows Azure IaaS (aka Virtual Machines) here https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/home/scenarios/virtual-machines/

3) Using Windows Azure PaaS (using DotNetNuke Azure Accelerator). Actually the Accelerator Wizard only supports the creation of new DNN instances (one by installation, in the future will support more than one). When working on PaaS you get all the benefits of a Platform as a Service, like not having to maintain OS, Windows updates, availability, etc. and an easy method for scaling in/out (just changing a digit with the wanted number of devices). The Accelerator Wizard automatically provisions an SQL Azure database, but with deeper knowledge on IaaS you could also have a DNN instance running on PaaS using a SQL Server hosted on IaaS. You can learn more about Windows Azure PaaS (aka Cloud Services) here https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/home/scenarios/cloud-services/

This is an outline of the ways to do DotNetNuke deployments on Azure, depending on your needs. At the end, I think that a post will help to explain the benefits of using one or other solution, and detail the steps with some pictures. 

Hope this helps, 

David