This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

DNN Along Side Cloud Service App?

Mar 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to deploy a DNN site as a virtual application with my current Azure web app. I've ran into quite a lot of problems but I've gotten to a point where I just get a DNN error page and if I look at the logs it seems to be access deny errors.

My question is: Can I create a deployment project with accelerator so I can easily deploy both sites to Azure?
If not can someone point me to the correct place?

-Thanks
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Actually the DNN Azure Accelerator only allows to deploy a DNN instance (there is a requested feature for hosting multiple DNN instances that will come soon), but I don't see a generic option in the accelerator for hosting on PaaS a mix DNN and non DNN websites, and the reason is because there are other ways to do that:
  • By using Virtual Machines (IaaS), you can do it manually installing your Azure web app and an instance of DNN
  • By using Azure Websites (for your Azure web app) and an instance of DNN Azure Accelerator
  • By using Azure Websites (for your Azure web app) and an instance of Virtual Machines
Note that in all this ways you can use SQL Azure for both your Azure app and the DNN instance.

If you have experience on Azure, you could also download the DNN Azure Accelerator code and build your custom deployment adding your Azure web app as another site, but you would need to merge the new changes on the Accelerator on each release if you want to use the new released features.

Hope this helps.
Mar 6, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Hello David,

I have tried the virtual machine approach but haven't been able to get past the requirements of DNN for caching and logging. All I get is a DNN error page.

Do you have some documentation on how I can deploy manually DNN in Azure Cloud Service? If I can get this right I can then add the website as a virtual application.

P.S. I also tried doing the IIS Perverse Proxy with DNN as Azure Web Site but this breaks the ELMAH modules on my app.